Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A friend of mine gave this to me as a gift for my b-day. She knows how much I love potatoes and this has become a treasured guilty pleasure. A quick, easy lunch. Adapted from the Gooseberry Patch Gifts for Giving cookbook.
- 1 3⁄4 cups instant mashed potatoes (Hungry Jack)
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered milk
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 2 teaspoons minced dried onion
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- Mix together all the ingredients in a mixing bowl; transfer mixture to a wide-mouth one-quart jar; seal with lid.
- Attach the following instruction: Add 1/2 cup soup mix to a soup bowl; add one cup boiling water; stir until smooth.
This was SOOOOO salty! And I didn't even add the salt that it called for! It was too spicy for my family. Maybe better without the turmeric? We also had to add 3 times the water just to get it down. Sorry!
I'm kind of neutral about this recipe. The flavor for me is just ok. It was too much pepper for my taste and mine wasn't "creamy"..it was actually more grainy. I did boil my water and even let it sit for a while...but, it didn't help? Maybe I should've whisked it? I will work with the remaining mix and see if I can improve on the texture. Thanks though...I do like the idea of a quick soup mix.
I have been making this for some time now, and is one of the dishes I have become "famous" for! I love this! Thank you so much for posting. I, too, found this too salty, and often put only 1/2-1 tsp seasoning salt. Also, the first time I made this, I had no turmeric, and have never bothered to add it since then. Where I come from, everyone thinks a soup must have chunks in it! Therefore, we've taken to boiling cubes of potatoes and adding to the soup. Delicious. This is definitely my most asked-for recipe.