Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
After all of the potato soup recipes I've tried, this is my absolute favorite take on a classic!
- 4 cups milk (whole or 2%)
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube (or chicken)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped white onion
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 3⁄4 cup thinly sliced celery
- 5 peeled and cubed potatoes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chicken seasoning, blend (or your favorite blend of spices) or 1 teaspoon italian blend spices (or your favorite blend of spices)
- 1 -2 tablespoon flour
- 2 -3 cups mild cheddar cheese
- Add milk, onions, potatoes, carrots, celery, salt, pepper, and seasoning blend to a 6 qt crock pot.
- Dissolve the bouillon cube in the hot water and then add to the crock.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours
- Using a potato masher, gently mash some of the potatoes in the soup to your preference (If you like a chickier soup don't mash as much).
- If the soup is too thin take out about 1/2 cup of the cream and add 1-2 tablespoons of flour. Make sure all lumps of flour have dissolved in the cream, and then add the mixture back into the soup.
- Stir in the cheese until creamy and enjoy!
This soup was excellent. I and my family really liked it. I only had beef bullion and didn't measure my veggies. I put in half an onion, two ribs of celery, a large carrot and five medium yukon gold potatoes and one small yukon gold potato. I also used Italian seasonings. I mashed it all up at the end with the potato masher, so that it had chunkies, and stirred in about a cup and a half of shredded cheddar cheese. The next time I make this recipe, I plan to only put in 1/2 teaspoon of pepper and let others add it if they want more.