Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A wonderfully low-fat, creamy potato soup that's perfect for cool nights - but very easy to prepare!
- 6 medium potatoes, cut in cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, cut in a large dice
- 6 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 (5 ounce) can fat-free evaporated milk
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt and pepper
- Start boiling potatoes.
- In a soup pot, saute the onions and celery over medium heat for about 5-8 minutes, until it is soft.
- Add the garlic and cook for another 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir constantly for a minute.
- Stir in the milk and vegetable broth; bring to a slow simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add paprika and season with salt and pepper.
- By this time, your potatoes should be done - you don't want them to be falling apart, but just fork-tender. Drain the potatoes and divide in half.
- Mash half of the potatoes and stir them into the soup. Simmer for another five minutes.
- Add the remaining potato chunks, and adjust seasonings to taste - I added a bit more pepper and another dash of smoked paprika.
- Serve with whatever toppings you like - bacon, fried onions, grated cheese, scallions, etc.
I needed to use up some potatoes so I did a search & chose this soup because it would be a two-for-one. I'd be using the potatoes & easing my family back into smoked paprika, which we'd accidentally OD'd on with a recipe more than a year ago & I haven't been able to use it since. This was a small amount called for & Parsley's review sealed the deal. I was not disappointed! We all really enjoyed the "newness" of the smoked paprika. It's what set this recipe apart from the many other potato soups we've tried. I had small potatoes so I used 7 of them & I still ended up adding another cup of 2% milk to thin it out enough. I served it with bacon, green onion, sour cream & shredded cheese. Thanks for sharing, lildebbie! Made & enjoyed for Spring 2009 Pick A Chef.
Thick and delicious. My potatoes were apparently on the larger side, so I actually had to add some extra ff evaporated milk or it ould have been too thick. I love smoked paprika and it is a must for this soup. No substitutions! Thanx for a wonderful potato soup.