Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
I have tried many different Potato soup recipes from Recipezaar, but none were exactly what I was looking for. My mom used to make an amazing potato soup, but I could never duplicate her recipe. She's one of those "use a pinch of this and a dash of that", (not exact a recipe if you know what I mean, all of our pinches are different...LOL) All I knew is that she used Potatoes, Cream, onions and bay leaves....Once the soup is cooked and the veggies are tender I use an immersion blender to puree the soup to make it nice and creamy. (I use a Braun hand held mixer)..
- 10 large baking potatoes, diced
- 2 (32 ounce) containers low sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 slices smoked bacon, Thick style
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 large vidalia onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- 1 cup colby-monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Add Chicken broth, Potatoes and Bay leaves to stock pot and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover pot and let simmer for 20 minutes. Stirring every now and then.
- While Potatoes are cooking, fry bacon in pan until crispy, then lay on paper towel to drain. Once drained, break into tiny pieces and put on side till needed.
- After bacon is cooked, leave drippings in pan and add butter, Onion, celery and carrots. Saute until the onions are translucent.
- Add to the pot with potatoes and simmer again for another 20 minutes or so. (You want to cook them until they are practically falling apart as you mix them).
- Whisk in cream and cook for 5 minutes more. If you don't have a whisk, use a cooking spoon but make sure you stir briskly pouring in the cream, so it doesn't curdle.
- Take immersion blender and blend soup till it's pureed and creamy.
- Add Cheeses, bacon and chives. Stir till incorporated and cook for another 5 more minutes.
This soup is fantastic! I used light cream (5% m.f.) and a blend of cheddar and jalapeno jack cheeses. I'm glad I made enough to have leftovers!