Prep 1 hr
Cook 12 hrs
Simple, but delicious!
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups water, boiling
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked ham, diced (optional)
- 2 cups milk
- Saute potatoes, onions, and celery in oil or butter in a large Dutch oven or stock pot.
- Add boiling water, chicken bouillon, and bay leaf. Cover.
- Simmer for 1 hour.
- Transfer to a blender in several batches and puree until smooth. If a chunkier consistency is desired, do not blend all of soup.
- Return to pot. Add butter, chicken broth, ham and milk. Heat through. Do not boil. Sprinkle with paprika. Enjoy!
- *Note: To make in crock pot. Omit olive oil. Add all ingredients except butter, chicken broth, ham and milk into 6 quart crock pot or larger. Cook on low for 8-12 hours. Continue with steps 4 and 5.
- **Note: To make in oven. Omit olive oil. Add all ingredients except butter, chicken broth, ham and milk into a roaster. Bake at 250 degrees for 6-8 hours. Continue with steps 4 and 5.