This is a delicious easy to make potato soup recipe. I make this with a ham stock, made from boiling a ham bone. But it turns out well if you use a pre-packaged chicken soup stock or water and bouillion to taste. It goes really nicely with some nice fresh buns or bread. We never have any leftovers.
- 8 cups diced potatoes
- 1⁄2-1 cup diced celery
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1⁄2-1 cup diced carrot
- 1 lb diced ham
- 6 1⁄2 cups ham stock (made from ham bone) or 6 1⁄2 cups chicken soup base
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon (or to taste)
- salt and pepper
- 4 -6 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 10 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- Combine potato's, celery, onions, carrots, ham, bay leaves and soup stock in large stock pot. Bring to a boil.
- Cook over medium heat until potato's are tender, 10-20 minutes.
- Stir in chicken bouillon, salt, and pepper.
- In separate pot melt butter over low heat. Whisk in flour with a fork and cook stirring constantly until thick, about 1 minute.
- Slowly stir in milk, continue stirring until thickened slightly.
- Add hot milk mixture to soup slowly, cook until hot and thickened, serve.