Recipe by Lou van
This is the most fantastic potato salad recipe I've ever found. My family rave about it (husband won't let me buy it anymore as says it's not a patch on this) and it always gets requested at bbqs and parties. I haven't altered it in any way as it's so wonderful as it is. I'd love to claim it as my own but it's not...I got the recipe from "An American Place" by Larry Forgione. It's a great book and with my love of American food I use it over and over. It's very important that the potatoes are still hot when they are tossed with the herbs and dressing inorder to absorb the other flavors and have a nice creamy texture.
Top Review by diner524
Delicious potato salad!! I think what I loved most was the creamy combination of mayonnaise and sour cream!! Next time I will add more mustard and some salt and pepper. I did as twissis and added a stalk of sliced celery and had to use a regular onion as DH had used the rest of the green onion the night before for salad. Thanks for sharing a wonderful recipe. Made for ZWT6.
- 1 cup mayonnaise (preferably homemade)
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons white wine vinegar (or cider vinegar)
- 3 drops Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard (I use English)
- 1 pinch sugar
- 2 large potatoes (scrubbed but not peeled)
- 1⁄2 cup cucumber (peeled, seeded and finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped scallions (spring onions)
- 1 egg (hard boiled chopped)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro (chopped fresh, coriander)
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley (chopped)
- salt & fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Put all the ingredients in a bowl and combine (can be made ahead and kept covered in fridge for a day or two).
- Boil the potatoes in salted water for 20 - 25 mins until cooked but still firm.
- Pour off the hot water and add tepid water; let the potatoes stand until cool enough to handle; drain.
- Peel potatoes and cut into chunks.
- Put warm potatoes in a large bowl and add cucumber, scallions,egg, cilantro and parsley.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper; let stand for a few minutes.
- Pour dressing over potatoes and toss gently.
- Season again if necessary.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.