1/6 Photos of Creamy Potato Salad
Lou van's Note:
This is the most fantastic potato salad recipe I've ever found. My family rave about it (husband won't let me buy it anymore as says it's not a patch on this) and it always gets requested at bbqs and parties. I haven't altered it in any way as it's so wonderful as it is. I'd love to claim it as my own but it's not...I got the recipe from "An American Place" by Larry Forgione. It's a great book and with my love of American food I use it over and over. It's very important that the potatoes are still hot when they are tossed with the herbs and dressing inorder to absorb the other flavors and have a nice creamy texture.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup mayonnaise (preferably homemade)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white wine vinegar (or cider vinegar)
- 3 drops Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard (I use English)
- 1 pinch sugar
- 2 large potatoes (scrubbed but not peeled)
- 1/2 cup cucumber (peeled, seeded and finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped scallions (spring onions)
- 1 egg (hard boiled chopped)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro (chopped fresh, coriander)
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley (chopped)
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 2Put all the ingredients in a bowl and combine (can be made ahead and kept covered in fridge for a day or two).
- 4Boil the potatoes in salted water for 20 - 25 mins until cooked but still firm.
- 5Pour off the hot water and add tepid water; let the potatoes stand until cool enough to handle; drain.
- 6Peel potatoes and cut into chunks.
- 7Put warm potatoes in a large bowl and add cucumber, scallions,egg, cilantro and parsley.
- 8Season to taste with salt and pepper; let stand for a few minutes.
- 9Pour dressing over potatoes and toss gently.
- 10Season again if necessary.
- 11Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Potato Salad
Serving Size: 1 (159 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 429.7
- Calories from Fat 219
- Total Fat 24.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 75.5 mg
- Sodium 475.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 6.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar