Prep 45 mins
Cook 25 mins
Have you ever posted a recipe and just love reading the reviews for it? This is my signature potato salad. Whenever there is a pot luck function at work, I am TOLD that I have to bring the potato salad. No one else is allowed to and I am never given a choice. Thank you everyone who ever tried this potato salad and for leaving such glowing reviews for it. You all have made me look so good. I personally can not stand eggs or raw onions, so I leave them out but I know most people don't think a potato salad is complete without them. Thanks again for so many wonderful reviews. (psssst....check out my Creamy Macaroni Salad as well. It shares the dressing with this recipe but tastes much much different because of the different ingredients) Please see Homemade Fresh Bacon Bits for bacon bit tips.
- 6 medium potatoes (2 pounds)
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, prepared as in Homemade Fresh Bacon Bits
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄3 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1 1⁄4 cups mayonnaise or 1 1⁄4 cups salad dressing
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 hardboiled egg, coarsely chopped
- Cook potatoes in boiling, salted water until tender.
- Drain well.
- Peel and cube potatoes.
- Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add celery, onion, sweet relish and bacon bits.
- Combine mayo, sugar, celery seed, vinegar, mustard, and salt.
- Add mayo mixture to potatoes.
- Toss lightly to coat potato mixture.
- Carefully fold in the chopped eggs.
- Cover and chill thoroughly.
- Bacon bit tip: Partially freeze your package of bacon. Use a sharp knife and cut the frozen bacon into long strips about 1/4 inch wide. Turn the bacon and cut the strips into pieces also about 1/4 in wide. You now have perfect raw bacon pieces to fast fry. No need to separate. They will separate during cooking. Perfect bacon bits.
I would give you more stars if I could. I consider myself a picky eater and reluctant to try something new. But this was soooo good;top of the line potatoe salad. I am so glad you shared the recipe.The only changes I made were adding more eggs, finely chopping the celery rather than slicing it, and using yellow onions (had no red onions on hand). The salad tasted even better the next day.
Really tasty potato salad, I used my own rhubarb chutney and as I had no celery seeds I used a little celery salt instead. The added bacon is a definite plus, thanks for posting Karen. =)
A wonderful creamy potato salad. I used sweet mustard pickle relish and I still used the 2 teasp of prepared mustard. It tasted great. The bacon added a beautiful flavour to the salad. The relish gave the dish an added tang. There was a little left over and I had that for lunch the next day. It was great. It keeps well. We are going to make this recipe in the future for lunches to take to work. An excellent Karen in Colorado creamy Potato Salad recipe. Thank you for posting it.