Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Adapted from Bon Appetit
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 lb yukon gold potato, peeled, cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices, then 1/8-inch cubes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- coarse kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth or 1 1⁄2 cups beef stock, may need more
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh chives
- Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion; cover and cook until soft and translucent, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes.
- Add potato cubes and cayenne pepper; sprinkle with coarse salt and pepper.
- Add 1 1/2 cups chicken (or beef) broth; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer until potatoes are almost tender, adding more chicken (or beef) broth by tablespoonfuls if dry (mixture should be creamy with some sauce, not dry), about 8 minutes.
- Add cream and simmer until potatoes are tender but still hold their shape, stirring often, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in cheese and chives.