Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
This soup is nice thick and creamy soup for a cold day. The bacon, garlic and shallots add a nice light flavour. Nothing overpowering. This soup is very filling. Use 1% milk to cut down on the calories. I served this with a salad.
- 2 slices bacon
- 4 cups chopped cremini mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup chopped shallot
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced (adjust to your taste)
- 3 1⁄2 cups yukon gold potatoes or 3 1⁄2 cups baking potatoes, cubed
- 14 ounces chicken broth (fat free low sodium)
- 2 cups milk (1% low fat)
- 2 tablespoons cream sherry
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Cook bacon in a Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp.
- Remove bacon from pan; crumble and set aside.
- Add mushrooms , shallots and garlic to bacon drippings in pan; sauté 5 minutes or until the mushrooms are soft. Remove from pan; set aside.
- Add potato and broth to pan, bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer.
- Place potato mixture in a food processor or blender, and process until smooth.
- Return the potato mixture to the pan.
- Add low-fat milk, mushroom mixture, sherry. salt, and pepper, cook over low heat 10 mintues or until thoroughly heated.
- Ladle soup in to bowls and top with crumbled bacon.