Yes, there are other Potato Leek Soups listed, but this is my neighbor's favorite and I don't want to loose the recipe. We make it for him in exchange for all the tools we borrow and all the handyman work we convince him to do! (Thanks Sean!) The recipe originally came from another recipe website, but I forgot to write which one when I copied it over by hand! Be sure to rinse the leeks well! The best way is to slice the end off, slice off most of the green part (it stays too firm for the soup), then slice it in half- long way (like you would a sandwich roll). Now rinse well, being sure to get water into each ring of the leek. It makes them easier to slice too :0)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large pot, bring potatoes and chicken broth to a boil. Lower to a simmer and cook until potatoes are tender (checking with a fork).
- 2Meanwhile, place bacon in a large skillet and cook until crisp (I sometimes cheat and bake it in the over on a cookie cooling rack over a cookie sheet lined with tin foil. Bake at 350 for about 15-20 minutes I keep checking it, so not sure of the time. Bacon comes out crispy every time and the dripping end up on the foil lined cookie sheet for easy clean up!).
- 3In the same frying pan (or in a frying pan if you used the oven method to cook the bacon), with 3-4 Tablespoons of the bacon grease (if you cooked the bacon in the frying pan- skim off until you have about this much- if you baked the bacon, add this amount to the frying pan!). Add the leeks- making sure that you have rinsed them well! Saute over med-low heat until they are limp and tender, stirring often.
- 4Mash or even better, use a submersion blender to mash the cooked potatoes until almost smooth.
- 5Blend in heavy cream.
- 6Add cooked leeks and 3/4 of the cooked bacon.
- 7Continue to blend until soup is almost smooth.
- 8Mix in remaining crumbled bacon or reserve as a garnish (I add it).
- 9If you find the soup is too thick for your liking, add small amounts of cream or chicken broth until it reaches the desired consistency- we like it pretty thick.
Browse Our Top Low In... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Potato Leek Soup (Not Low Fat!!)
Serving Size: 1 (454 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 754.9
- Calories from Fat 450
- Total Fat 50.0 g
- Saturated Fat 20.8 g
- Cholesterol 105.7 mg
- Sodium 1168.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 19.2 g