Recipe by Lorraine
The idea for the recipe came from a soup I had at Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC. It is easy to prepare, but tastes gourmet!
Top Review by Mille®
This ranks among my very favourite soups!! I made a bunch of it and froze it in 1- and 2-serving portions. To cut down on the sodium content, I used salt substitute instead of salt, and I used homemade chicken stock (almost sodium-free) instead of store-bought cans.
- 1⁄2 cup sliced leek, washed well
- 2 cans chicken broth
- 4 medium potatoes, cut in 1" cubes
- 1 onion, diced
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring broth to a boil and reduce to medium.
- Add leeks, potatoes, and onion.
- Simmer, covered, 25-30 minutes.
- Add seasonings and cream.
- Simmer 5 minutes more.
- Slightly mash with a potatoe masher to desired consistency.
- Serve with salad and crusty bread.
- A snap to make, but tastes gourmet!