Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is a family favorite in our house. One of the rare few that all of our children will eat. Usually, we serve bacon cheeseburgers with the soup. Sometimes I will use leftover ham in the recipe too.
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups potatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- In a large saucepan combine water, potatoes, carrots, and onion. Bring to boiling. Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan melt butter. Stir in flour and black pepper. Add milk and half and half all at once. Stir until thick and bubbly. Add cheese. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Drain water from potato mixture leaving a half cup. Mash potatoes lightly. Add chicken broth.
- Pour cheese mixture into potato mixture. Heat through, but do not boil. Serve immediately.