Recipe by CongoGirl
It's winter in my garden, and I have and abundance of veggies, so I decided to throw them together to make some soup. It turned out to be creamy and flavorful, and packed full of nutrients!
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 1 large red potatoes, diced
- 3 small leeks or 1 large leek
- 1 carrot, diced
- fresh garlic
- 1 cup raw spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk (I used nonfat)
Directions See How It's Made
- Note: I did not actually measure any of these ingredients as I made the soup; adjust to taste. Also, other vegetables could easily be added or substituted.
- Bring the chicken broth to a boil in a large pot. Add the diced potato and broccoli.
- Let boil for 10-15 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Meanwhile, chop the leeks (white part only) and sauté them in some olive oil with the carrot and about a tablespoon of fresh minced garlic.
- Add the spinach and let it wilt.
- When potatoes are done, add the sauteed vegetables, onion powder, and salt to the pot.
- Using an immersion blender, purée the mixture until smooth.
- Add the evaporated milk and stir inches.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Serve garnished with sour cream and cheese, if desired.