Cook1 hr 30 mins
Total comfort food! You will need 3/4-inch thick pork chops for this, make certain to slice the potatoes the same thickness as the chops to assure that both are cooked at the same time. You can use fresh mushrooms instead of canned but they will need to be sauteed firstly to release their liquid. Serve this with hot cooked buttered egg noodles and green beans!
- 8 boneless pork chops (about 3/4-inch thick)
- seasoning salt
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 medium russet potatoes (sliced about 3/4-inch thick)
- 2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced (can use 1 onion)
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 2 small celery ribs, finely diced
- 1 (10 ounce) can mushroom pieces, well drained
- 2 (10 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup, undiluited
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded old cheddar cheese, divided
- Het oven to 325 degrees.
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Heat oil with butter in a skillet.
- Season the chops with seasoned salt and black pepper, add to the skillet and lightly brown on both sides; remove to a plate and set aside.
- To the same skillet (add in more butter and/or oil if needed) add in onion, garlic, celery and mushroom pieces; saute for about 3 minutes; remove from heat.
- Arrange the potato slices in the buttered baking dish, then top with the onion/celery mixture.
- In a bowl combine the mushroom soup with sour cream, milk and Parmesan cheese, 1 cup grated old cheddar cheese, 1 teaspoon seasoned salt and black pepper to taste.
- Spoon the soup mixture over the potatoes and onions.
- Arrange the browned chops on top.
- Cover with foil and bake about 1-3/4 to 2 hours or until the chops and potatoes are tender.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with about 1 cup (or more or less) grated old cheddar cheese, then return to oven uncovered for another 8-10 minutes.
- Let stand about 10 minutes before serving.