Recipe by Kizzikate
I had this at a dinner party, and it is sooooo delicious! Creamy chicken with just a bit of heat, served atop crunchy cornbread waffles. Comfort Food! If your chicken breasts are on the large side, 6 will work nicely. This can be made ahead, simply reheat the chicken mixture and warm the waffles!
Top Review by MissaBravest
Very tasty! I made it just as instructed and it was a hit with my friends. I thought it would be too much food but it all disappeared! There was no spiciness at all. Very "soul food". I'll be making it again.
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 poblano chiles, seeded & diced
- 6 -8 boneless chicken breast halves, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- cornbread waffle
- 1 1⁄2 cups cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen white shoepeg corn, thawed
Directions See How It's Made
- In Dutch oven, melf butter over medium heat. Add onions, poblanos, & garlic. Saute for 5 minutes, or until soft. Add chicken, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring often, 8-10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Stir in soup and sour cream until smooth. Stir in cheese, cook & stir until melted and smooth. Serve over Cornbread Waffles.
- To prepare waffles, Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Stir in egg, milk, and melted butter, stirring just until just moistened. Batter will be somewhat lumpy.
- Bake batter in a lightly buttered, preheated waffle iron until golden brown & crispy.