Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe was originally served over cornbread waffles, which were a real big pain to make. Make cornbread instead! It's just as good and definitely gives you something to soak up the gravy !!!!
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 poblano chiles, seeded and diced
- 3 -4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 -5 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, fat discarded,washed,dried,and cut into bite size pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken and mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese (about 2 cups)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen white shoepeg corn, thawed or 1 1⁄2 cups other frozen corn kernels
- Prepare biscuits, and bake while fixing chicken.
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven or large heavy saucepan.
- Add onion, poblanos, and garlic, and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken, salt, and pepper, and cook, stirring often, for 8-10 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Stir in soup and sour cream.
- Add cheese, and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for an additional 7-8 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve over Cornbread Biscuits.
- Cornbread Biscuits: Stir together the first 5 ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, stir together egg, milk, melted butter, and corn.
- When combined, add to dry mixture, and stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Pour into a well greased 10" pie plate or 9x9" square pan.
- Score into wedges or squares, and bake in a preheated 375 degree F oven for 15-20 minutes or until done and golden brown.