Sandi (From CA)'s Note:
I bought a HUUUUUGE bag of shelled pistachios at Sam's Club today after seeing a delicious-sounding recipe in the latest issue of Gourmet. This actually isn't that recipe, but before I could input it, I ran across this one and freaked out. In a good way. (I think.) Can't wait to try this -- it sounds awesome.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup celery, leaves included
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 cup dry sherry
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup shelled pistachio nut (preferably not dyed red)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup parsley, minced, to garnish
- 1Sauté bacon in a large saucepan over medium high heat until crisp. Remove the pieces and drain. Add the celery, onion, and garlic to the pan, reduce heat, and saute until the onion is translucent--about 5 minutes. Spoon the vegetables out onto paper towels and blot away the bacon grease.
- 2Wipe out the saucepan, then return the vegetables to it, along with the bacon, bay leaf, and sherry. Bring to a simmer and allow to reduce until all the sherry has evaporated. Stir in the chicken stock and the rice. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes, when the rice is very soft.
- 3Meanwhile, heat the oil in a small skillet, add the pistachios, and toss until they are lightly browned--perhaps 2 or so minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- 4When the rice is soft, discard the bay leaf and puree the pistachios and soup in a blender, solids first. When smooth, return to saucepan. Stir in the cream and reheat. Season to taste.
- 5When ready to serve, ladle into bowls and garnish with minced parsley.
Browse Our Top Low In... Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low In... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Pistachio Soup
Serving Size: 1 (363 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 623.1
- Calories from Fat 395
- Total Fat 43.9 g
- Saturated Fat 17.8 g
- Cholesterol 97.7 mg
- Sodium 619.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 17.1 g