Recipe by White Rose Child
This great soup can be on the table in less than 30 minutes.It's so easy, and I've made it so many times, that I memorized the recipe! Serve with lots of whole-wheat bread for dipping, mmm.
Top Review by VeganJen
Excellent! Used a couple sprinkles of habanero instead of the jalapenos, and 1 small can of Italian style tomato paste instead of fresh/canned tomatoes. I didn't blend it, but I boiled it down to a thick consistency and ate with corn tortillas.
- 2⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, chopped (size depending on how hot you like it)
- 3 cups cooked pinto beans
- 2 cups sodium-free vegetable broth or 2 cups bean stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped or 1 1⁄2 cups use canned tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Soften the onions, garlic and pepper in water for 5-10 minutes. Prepare other ingredients.
- Add remaining ingredients except salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, mostly covered, 10-15 minutes.
- In 2 batches, puree the soup in a food processor until creamy(haven't tried the blender, though that would probably work too). Add salt to taste, if desired.
- Return to pot and keep over low heat until ready to serve.