Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Taken on Foodess.com
Make and share this Creamy Pineapple Pie With Brown Sugar Meringue recipe from Food.com.
Graham Cracker Crust
- 414.03 ml graham cracker crumbs
- 44.37 ml sugar
- 0.59 ml salt
- 59.14 ml butter, melted
Creamy Pineapple Filling
- 158.51 ml sugar
- 78.07 ml cornstarch
- 473.18 ml canned pineapple and juice, pureed (Pour chunks along with juice into measuring cup to 2 cup mark, then puree)
- 5 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2.46 ml vanilla
Brown Sugar Meringue
- 5 egg whites
- 2.46 ml cream of tartar
- 78.07 ml brown sugar
- Graham Cracker Crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-inch pie plate. Mix together the crumbs, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Add melted butter and stir to combine. Press mixture evenly into prepared pie plate. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Cool.
- Reduce oven to 325 degrees.
- Creamy Pineapple Filling: Whisk together sugar and cornstarch in medium saucepan. Add yolks and pineapple puree, and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens and bubbles, about 8 minutes. Stir in vanilla and any leftover pineapple chunks.
- Pour mixture into prepared crust.
- Brown Sugar Meringue: Put egg whites and cream of tarter in bowl of electric mixer. Beat on high until soft peaks form. Slowly add brown sugar, beating until stiff.
- Pile meringue on top of warm filling, making sure to spread it right to the edges. Bake at 325 degrees for 15-20 minutes, until golden. Cool at least one hour, then refrigerate.
What a delightful surprise this recipe was. So easy to make and tasted scrumptious. If you like pineapple upside down cake, you will like this pie. I used a pre-made graham cracker crust because they were on sale. I used a 20-ounce can of crushed pineapple and didn't puree it because I wanted the texture. This was so easy to put together. The pie had just the right amount of sweetness to it. I served this as an after dinner dessert and everyone loved it. Everyone gave this 5 stars and said that it deserved even more. Thanks for sharing another great recipe, Boomette. :) Made 4/3/11 for Aus/NZ Make My Recipe Tag Game.
Yummy! We loved this light, fresh summery pie. It goes together quickly with very little effort. I used a store bought graham cracker crust because I already had it in my pantry. Also, a 20 oz. can of pineapple chunks in its own juice was the perfect size for the filling. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe. It is a keeper! Made for ZWT 9 Caribbean - Tropical Dessert Challenge for The Apron String Travelers.
Easy and very good. I'm diabetic, so I used Splenda instead of sugar in the crust and pie. I did use the brown sugar in the topping. Thanks for the recipe!