Prep 20 mins
Cook 23 mins
- 1 lb linguine
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄3 cup pesto sauce (recipe follows)
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed tender young basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil, more to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, very finely minced
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmigiano
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Add linguine pasta, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until al dente; drain.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Stir in cream, and season with pepper.
- Cook 6 to 8 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir parmesan cheese into cream sauce, stirring until thoroughly mixed.
- Blend in the pesto, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until thickened.
- Stir in the shrimp, and cook until they turn pink, about 5 minutes.
- Serve over the hot linguine.
- Pesto; Put the basil, pine nuts, and salt in a food processor or blender and process steadily while you add the oil in a thin but constant stream.
- The sauce should achieve the consistency of a slightly grainy paste but not a fine puree.
- Add the garlic and process very briefly, just to mix.
- When the sauce is the right consistency, transfer it to a bowl and, using a spatula, fold in the grated cheese.
- (If you're using a mortar, just continue to work in the cheese with the pestle.) If the sauce is too thick, work in more olive oil.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning.