Easy to make, this chicken is wonderfully tasty and rich. Not for those watching your fat intake, but hey... splurging every now and then isn't a bad idea. ;)
- 1 lb spinach linguine or 1 lb regular linguine
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup butter, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 whole shallot, minced
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped sun-dried tomatoes, reconstituted in warm water (measurement before reconstituting)
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper, to taste
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup pesto sauce
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup romano cheese or 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup extra parmesan cheese, grated,for garnish
- fresh ground black pepper, for garnish
- Cook linguini according to package directions.
- Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt 2 teaspoons of the butter together with the olive oil over medium heat.
- Brown the chicken breasts on both sides until nicely golden and juices run clear, about 6 to 7 minutes per side.
- Remove from pan and cut into 1/2-inch cubes; set aside.
- Pour out drippings from pan, but do not wipe it out.
- In the pan you cooked the chicken in, melt remaining butter over medium heat.
- Toss in the minced garlic, shallot, mushrooms, and reconstituted sundried tomatoes and sauté for 5 minutes, then stir in half and half and season with pepper.
- Cook 6 to 8 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir the Parmesan into the creamy mixture, stirring until well mixed.
- Stir in the pesto, and cook for about 5 minutes, until thickened.
- Stir in the chicken cubes and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Re-heat the linguini (either in boiling water or microwave) and serve chicken and sauce over the hot pasta.
- Garnish with grated Romano and freshly ground black pepper.
- Makes 4 to 6 servings.