Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is such a wonderful tasting candy. The recipe comes from an elementary school cookbook. The original recipe called for using peppermint extract as the flavoring. I have found that it is equally good using coconut extract to flavor it with.
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract or 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 9 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3⁄4 cup milk chocolate chips
- 3⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- Beat cream cheese and extract until smooth.
- Gradually add confectioners sugar, beating well.
- Shape into 1 inch balls.
- Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets.
- Flatten into patties.
- The bottom of a cup works great.
- Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
- In microwave, melt chips and shortening; stir until smooth.
- Cool slightly.
- Dip patties into melted chocolate.
- Place on waxed paper.
- Store in refrigerator.
- **If you decide to use coconut extract consider sprinkling flaked coconut on top of chocolate while still soft.