Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
A wonderful fast meal on a busy night.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped & minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano (2 tsp dried)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1 lb penne
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Heat oil over med heat; cook onion& garlic for 3 minutes.
- Puree tomatoes and add to saucepan along with hot pepper flakes; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 20 minutes or until thickened.
- Add parsley and oregano; remove from heat.
- In blender, puree ricotta and milk until smooth.
- Stir in tomato mixture.
- Meanwhile, cook penne til tender.
- Drain; toss with sauce.
- Season with salt& pepper.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
Simply wonderful. The whole family enjoyed. I had made a similar recipe years ago with bacon and this reminded me of it. I love having another use for ricotta cheese! Roxygirl
I used my own sauce, but added the ricotta and milk from the recipe and it was very good! Thanks for the idea and next time I will try the whole recipe. Carole in Orlando
Used chopped tomatoes (undrained), 2 tsp dry parsley, 2 tsp dry oregano, 1 cup cottage cheese and no milk. Once it was all cooked, I blended it all with a hand-blender. Tasted great! Served with whole wheat and regular penne pasta and garlic-cheese biscuits.