Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Carrots, peas, and onions get together in this creamy, cheesy casserole. What a delicious way to eat your veggies!!
- 12 carrots, sliced
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 6 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 25 butter flavored crackers, crushed
- Place carrots in a saucepan with a small amount of water, cover, and cook for 6 minutes over medium heat.
- Add onions, bring to a boil, and then reduce heat.
- Cover pan and allow to simmer for 5 minutes and then drain.
- Add peas to carrots and toss.
- In a shallow 3 quart baking dish, add 4 cups of vegetables, sprinkle with cheddar cheese, and top with remaining vegetables.
- In a saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon of butter over medium heat, then stir in flour, nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- Gradually add milk, stirring constantly.
- Bring milk to a boil, and stir for 2 minutes.
- Pour milk mixture over vegetables.
- Put remaining 3 tablespoons of butter and cracker crumbs in a skillet, cook and stir over medium heat until toasted.
- Sprinkle crackers over casserole, and bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes.
I omitted the cracker topping since I was serving over cornflake crumbed chicken. I ended up serving on top of the chicken and it was pure comfort food! Roxygirl