Recipe by The Flying Chef
This is a very quick and tasty side dish to make that will go down well with the whole family. I love fresh peas just boiled in some water and served with a little butter and mint, but my son is not as keen, so I came up with this so he would eat them and enjoy them. You can make this with frozen or fresh peas just make sure you cook the peas first if fresh.
Top Review by lauralie41
DH loves peas, ham, and fettucini alfredo sauce so knew he would love this. I did use frozen peas and did not add the mint or the cayenne because he isnt to fond of them. He asked me to make this again for him soon! Made and reviewed for the Australia/NewZealand Forum's Recipe Swap #42.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 5 pancetta, rashers chopped finely
- 2 cups cream (I use a half fat cream, can use full fat or double cream)
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 cups cooked fresh peas (can use frozen, you can add them straight into the cream without cooking.)
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- mint, sprinkle with some chopped fresh mint (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a pan, add onion, garlic and bacon, cook until onion is soft and bacon cooked.
- In a saucepan add cream, bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer, to reduce slightly, Approx 4-5 Min's.
- Add onion garlic mix, cheese and peas, stir to heat through and melt cheese, approx 3-4 Min's. If using frozen peas cook a little longer.
- Add cayenne and season with salt and pepper if desired, cook for a further minute or two, until nice and hot and thickened slighlty.
- Serve sprinkled with fresh mint.