Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is from "The Flat Belly Diet" with a few alterations. First, I increased the amount to feed my husband and have leftovers. I also added a roux to thicken it as it was too thin.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine vinegar
- 5 tablespoons peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons peanuts, chopped
- Sweat the onion and celery in the olive oil with the salt. on medium-low. When tender and beginning to be transparent, add the flour and cook for about 2 minutes, making sure it is well combined (note: you are making a roux at this point).
- Whisk in 1/2 the liquid and combine thoroughly. Adding liquid to the roux will make the roux thick, so make sure to get the liquid well mixed to avoid lumps before adding the rest of the liquid. Then whisk in the remaining liquid, and allow to simmer, stirring often, for 5-7 minutes.
- Next add the peanut butter. Whisk heartily for about a minute or two to incorporate.
- Garnish with the chopped peanuts (the smaller they are chopped, the better they remain at the surface.), and serve with toasted whole-wheat pitas broken into it.