Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
This delicious dessert only needs 5 minutes of your time. It then simmers and needs no watching! A traditional way to end a south Indian meal. This can cook while you eat the main course.
- Put 3 Tbsp Ghee in a pan. A non stick saucepan is best.
- Add 10 cashews and fry till light brown.
- Add the raisins and fry till swollen.
- Add the vermicelli and fry for 5 min, stirring constantly until the strands are all light brown and a few are dark brown.
- Pour in the water and cook on low heat for 5 minutes. Let the vermicelli cook (no white centre).
- Add the milk and simmer WITHOUT stirring until the liquid thickens, about 30 minute.
- Add the sugar, mix well.
- Sprinkle powdered cardomom pods and remove from heat.
I actually had to make some changes to this recipe to get it how I like it, but the good directions and the ease of making it gives it four stars. With the changes, I think it's a 5. I increased the sugar to 1/2 cup, otherwise it was not at all sweet enough. At 1/2 cup of sugar, it is still way less sweet than standard payasam, but I like it that way. If you use jaggery, a lesser amount will be fine. Also I would cut the ghee by a tablespoon. Too oily for our taste. And it needs a thread of saffron to make it really taste right. But a great method of preparing this dish. With the changes, this will be the way I make it from now on.