Recipe by Rachel Morris
A delicious combination of chicken, broccoli, mushrooms and tomatoes in a creamy white sauce, lightly flavoured with cheese and spices. Tossed with whole wheat pasta, it makes a hearty, satisfying meal. Add some extra milk to baby’s portion to help keep texture moist enough to mash and swallow easily.
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup white mushroom, finely diced
- 1 cup broccoli floret, finely diced
- 1 cup tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 1 cup homogenized milk
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth or 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup white enriched flour
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated mild cheddar cheese
- 4 cups whole wheat pasta, cooked and drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Dice raw chicken into bite-size pieces, small enough for baby to manage.
- Clean cutting board thoroughly, dice mushrooms, broccoli and tomato to same size chunks.
- In large saucepan, cook chicken with mushrooms and spices over medium heat, until chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- Add broccoli and tomatoes, cover and reduce heat to low until broccoli is tender.
- Add chicken broth, allow to simmer while you mix milk, flour, parmesan and grated cheese in small bowl.
- Add mixture to saucepan, stir continuously until grated cheese has melted and blended well into sauce.
- Add cooked and drained pasta, toss and serve.
- For adults, extra salt or pepper may be added. For babies, portions may be mashed or eaten as is, depending on your child’s capabilities or preferences.