Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A quick, hearty cream sauce.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped oregano
- 4 ounces hard salami or 4 ounces prosciutto or 4 ounces ham or 4 ounces sausage or 4 ounces pepperoni
- 4 ounces provolone cheese or 4 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese or 1⁄2 cup romano cheese
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 2 cups half-and-half
- salt and pepper
- Heat butter and oil in a large skillet.
- Add onions, cook till slightly transparent.
- Add meat(s); cook till brown.
- Add garlic and herbs, cook till fragrant and light brown.
- With a slotted spoon remove meat/veggies from pan and drain in a paper towel lined bowl or in a fine mesh colander.
- Drain oil from pan, deglaze pan with wine, add more if necessary.
- Cook till alcohol smell is gone.
- Add half-and-half; bring to a simmer.
- Add cheeses and stir until cheeses are melted and sauce is thick, add meats and season to taste.
- Adjust to desired thickness with more cheese, some Wondra flour or more cream.
- Serve over pasta.
- Don't stress out about having all fresh herbs and meats for this dish.
- I make it to clean out the frige of leftover lunch meats and cheeses.
- You can use dried spices (start with 1/2 the amount), add more or less meat as desired.
- Try it with any sort of red meat that you want, the taste will vary slightly, but the overall look and feel will be the same.
- You can make this with regular milk, be sure not to boil the mixture as the milk may curdle.