Chef #573036's Note:
Marcia Kiesel’s luxuriously creamy soups are the perfect starters for Thanksgiving dinner because they can be made in advance, then reheated and garnished just before serving.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 29.58 ml unsalted butter
- 29.58 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 946.0 ml low sodium vegetable broth
- 946.36 ml water
- 1133.98 g parsnips, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 56.69 g thinly sliced prosciutto, cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips
- 118.29 ml heavy cream
- 118.29 ml milk
- 14.79 ml thyme leaves
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 11.In a large pot, melt the butter in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the onion, cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the broth and water along with the parsnips and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and simmer over low heat until the parsnips are tender, about 30 minutes.
- 22.Meanwhile, in a small skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the prosciutto and cook over moderately high heat, tossing, until crisp, about 30 seconds. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the prosciutto to a paper towel–lined plate to drain.
- 33.Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender until very smooth. Transfer the soup to a clean saucepan. Stir in the cream and milk and bring to a simmer over moderate heat, stirring a few times. Season the soup with salt and pepper and ladle into bowls. Garnish with the prosciutto and thyme leaves and serve.
- 4Make Ahead.
- 5The soup can be refrigerated overnight. Reheat gently.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Parsnip Soup With Prosciutto - Marcia Kiesel’s
Serving Size: 1 (211 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 154.1
- Calories from Fat 76
- Total Fat 8.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 20.1 mg
- Sodium 20.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 1.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low sodium vegetable broth