Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Simple, fast, and delicious, a creamy blend of parmesan, cream, orzo, shrimp and herbs. Thirty minutes start to finish on the stove top, or throw everything in the crockpot at the beginning of the day, it couldn't be easier. You can also substitute scallops or diced chicken for the shrimp, or leave out entirely for a creamy side dish.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half (light cream)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh shredded parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 lb shrimp, cooked, shelled and deveined
- 6 -8 leaves fresh basil, sliced fine
- Saute garlic and orzo in butter 3-4 minutes until golden brown. Stir in water and half and half. Cover and let simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in parmesan, shrimp and basil. Remove from heat, cover and let stand 5 minutes before serving. Reheats really well, and is even better the second day.
Loved it!!!! I've been looking for this kind of dish to satisfy my need for cheesey-creamy-yummy!!! I added a few splashes of lemon juice and a handful of Italian cheeses and DH was eating out of the pan!