From BBC Food's 'Rachel's Favourite Foods'. They looked so simple, few ingredients, yet tasty and elegant. Can't wait to try!
- Bring the milk and cream to a bubble (do not boil).
- Add bay leaves and garlic, turn off heat, place lid on saucepan, and leave to infuse (for approximately 1/2 hour or longer).
- Whisk together the eggs and egg yolks.
- Pour milk mixture over eggs very slowly while whisking.
- Strain through a sieve (this removes any left over unconstituted egg "bits" and makes for a smoother, glossier end-product).
- Add grated parmesan and salt and pepper.
- Pour into 4 individual ramekin dishes and place in a bain-marie (see note below).
- Bake at 375°F for 30-40 minutes until set at the edges but still slightly "jiggly" at the centres.
- Upend onto serving plates and serve with a side garnish of olive oil-dressed rocket leaves.
- Note: For our beginner cooks, place the ramekins in another container into which you can pour hot water such that the water comes up to about halfway up the ramekin dishes.