Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 1⁄2 lb trimmed pancetta, diced
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 3⁄4 cups half-and-half
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried sweetened cranberries
- 1 cup chopped pistachio nut
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Brown pancetta and onions in large skillet over medium heat, cook until onions begin to brown (about 8 minutes).
- Add half-and-half; bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Add rice, cranberries, pistachios, salt and pepper.
- Stir until well blended.
This is different! :) The salty pancetta and pistachio are nicely balanced with sweetness from the red onion and cranberries, and the half-and-half adds wonderful undertones of richness. This is probably not something I'd place in my regular rotation; it's too special and more like a holiday treat for my family. Thanks, Elmotoo! Made for Aussie NZ Recipe Swap #23.
This was really interesting. I loved the pancetta and onions with the rice but found the cranberries a bit odd but enjoyable and I liked the creaminess - I used Trader Joe's frozen brown rice. Surprisingly my DH who often doesn't like hard or chewy mixed with soft textures, really liked this. I kept thinking it needed some other type of seasoning but I'm not sure what. I will for sure make this again and maybe play with it a little just for fun! I think maybe I'll try fresh cranberries in place of the dried. Thanks for sharing Bethie! Made for 2014 Culinary Quest for the Crusin Culinary Queens