Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a popular main dish that can be served with any bread or rice. Everybody loves it.
- 20 ounces chopped spinach (fresh or frozen)
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 chopped tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons crushed ginger
- 2 chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 ounces cream cheese or 4 ounces sour cream
- Cook the first 7 ingredients in one cup water for about 10 minutes.
- When little cold, puree in a blender, adding more water as needed.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Saute the garlic and the spices.
- Add cream cheese and spinach.
- Cook for 10-15 mins.
- to desired consistency.
- Note: Add firm tofu pieces if desired.
Although your spinach recipes vary from 'nice' to 'spectacular', I am a purist where spinach is concerned. Give it to me straight out of the good earth cooked in only the water clinging to the leaves. MAYBE with a dot of butter and/or salt. Maybe! Your site is most enjoyable and my family has had the good fortune to benefit from the many meals based on your recipes.As my kids say: "You Rule!"
This was great! We used sour cream which I was skeptical about but it turned out delicious and authentic tasting. We also added some fried tofu to make it a main dish and served with garlic naan. Thanks for the recipe :)
Really very good. Easy to prepare. I substituted 1/3 less fat cream cheese & it worked well. In the future I would not use a full cup of water in the first step - had to simmer finished dish for a long time to reduce it to the consistency that I like... otherwise a great recipe & I suspect a lot healthier than ordering takeout.