A nice alternative to the traditional risotto, and much easier too! It was so easy to make with any add-in's you have on hand.
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 1 1⁄4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (or to your liking)
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 tomato, cored and seeded
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 ounce fresh parmesan cheese, grated
- 12 large shrimp
- 1⁄2 tablespoon creole seasoning (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 1 dash red pepper (optional)
- Melt butter in a large skillet.
- Add garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add orzo and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken broth and water, bring to a boil.
- Once at a boil reduce heat to a simmer uncovered.
- Meanwhile core, seed and dice the tomatoes and thaw and strain the spinach.
- Once the liquid in the orzo begins to absorb (about 5 minutes) add the tomatoes and stir.
- Let this simmer for another 5 minutes then add the spinach and stir.
- Cook until the liquid is fully absorbed (about another 15 minutes).
- In a separate pan sauté the shrimp and sprinkle with creole seasoning (optional, you can use whatever spice you like) until cooked.
- Add the cheeses and fresh basil, red pepper (optional) to the orzo and stir, then add in the shrimp and serve!