- 1 lb orzo pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 lb smoked ham, cubed
- 1 1⁄4 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a heavy large saucepan of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the orzo and cook until tender,about 8 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a heavy large frying pan over medium heat. Add the shallot and garlic, and saute until tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add the ham and cook until they are heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the half and half and peas. Add the orzo and toss to coat.
- Remove the skillet from the heat. Add the Parmesan to the pasta mixture and toss to coat.
- Stir in some reserved cooking liquid until pasta is desired consistency.
- Season the orzo with salt and pepper, and serve.