Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A creamy, cheesy pasta dish you can eat with a spoon. Serve with green salad and garlic bread. Great comfort food.
- 1 lb orzo pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 lb smoked ham, cubed
- 1 1⁄4 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a heavy large saucepan of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the orzo and cook until tender,about 8 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a heavy large frying pan over medium heat. Add the shallot and garlic, and saute until tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add the ham and cook until they are heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the half and half and peas. Add the orzo and toss to coat.
- Remove the skillet from the heat. Add the Parmesan to the pasta mixture and toss to coat.
- Stir in some reserved cooking liquid until pasta is desired consistency.
- Season the orzo with salt and pepper, and serve.
Delicious!! We substituted chicken for ham and corn for the peas, and came out great. This is definitely one we will make again
We really enjoyed this. Simple yet comforting and easy to make :) Thanks for posting!
LOVE LOVE LOVE this recipe! We've made it a few times now and really enjoy it. It's mild enough to give to my 9 month old (and easy for him to eat) yet flavorful enough for us all to appreciate it.