Recipe by ~la petite chef~
This Giada recipe is great for year round, especially summer if served cold.
Top Review by Christina Sue
I made this for dinner last night alongside #82102. Lotsa garlic at our dinner table last night! I followed the directions exactly except I add a cup of frozen mixed veggies as that's what I had on hand. It was great however I think next time I would use a regular onion (maybe half of one) for more onion flavor and maybe half the whipping cream, or even just regular milk..as I think the whipping cream really dulled some of the other flavors in the recipes. This is my first Giada recipe I ever tried and it was pretty easy. :) Everyone else at the table loved it, ate a whole box of orzo between 4 adults!
- 1 lb orzo pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, juices drained
- 1 cup frozen peas (optional) or 1 cup green beans (optional)
- 1 1⁄4 cups whipping cream
- 3⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook orzo in a large saucepan of salted water, until tender but still firm to the bite, approx 8 minites.
- Meanwhile, saute the shallot and garlic in oil over medium heat. approx 2 minites.
- Add the tomatoes and cook until tender. approx 8 minites.
- Stir in the cream and peas, then orzo.
- Remove from heat and toss to coat.
- Add Parmesan until sauce coats pasta thickly adding enough reserved cooking liquid to maintain a creamy consistency.
- Season with salt-n-pep and serve!