Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
We watched Giada DeLaurentis prepare this dish and whole family agreed - this is a must fix. Creamy, wonderful blend of flavors.
- 1 lb orzo pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, juices drained
- 1 1⁄4 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Bring a heavy large saucepan of salted water to boil over high heat. Add the orzo and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring often, about 8 minutes.
- Drain - reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in heavy large pan frying pan over medium heat. Add the shallot and garlic, saute until until tender (about 2 minutes).
- Add the tomatoes and cook until tender (5-8 minutes).
- Stir in cream and peas.
- Add orzo and toss to coat.
- Remove from heat; add the Parmesan to the pasta mixture and toss to coat.
- Stir the pasta mixture until the sauce coats the pasta thickly, adding enough reserved pasta water to maintain a creamy consistency.
- Season with salt & pepper.
I just tried this and my family loved it!! Goes well with Rosemary chicken! This will be a favorite at my house. Thanks for sharing!
This is very good change from eating rice or potatoes. I added Hunts fire roasted tomatoes and some parsley and left out the peas not a big fan of peas. This was even better the next day.
Really good! I loved the creamy texture. I increased the garlic to 1 tablespoon and used 1/2 and 1/2. I will increase the garlic next time(personal choice) and maybe use sun dried tomatoes packed in oil. I can use the oil from the sun dried tomatoes and saute the garlic and shallow. Just an idea!