Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
My spin on Outback's Creamy Onion Walkabout soup...Please follow steps for the "white sauce" first...This tastes just like the restaurant!***The secret is the bay leaves...I found them in my soup @ Outback & knew that was the missing ingredient! This is the only recipe out there that includes the bay leaves!!!! This soup is my ALL TIME FAV!! (The WHITE SAUCE ingredients are the first 3 listed items on top) ENJOY!!!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups sweet yellow onions (thinly sliced)
- 1 (15 ounce) can chicken broth or 1 (15 ounce) can stock
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1⁄4 cup diced Velveeta cheese, cubes (compressed in measuring cup)
- 1 1⁄2-1 3⁄4 cups white sauce
- 4 bay leaves (more or less if you like)
- shredded cheddar cheese (to garnish, or a combo) or monterey jack cheese (to garnish, or a combo) or colby cheese (to garnish, or a combo)
- For the white sauce: In a 1-quart saucepan melt butter and add flour, cook on medium heat until the flour turns thick and comes away from the side of the saucepan. Pour milk in flour a little at a time and stir constantly. Mixture should thicken and become like thick pudding. Remember to stir constantly taking care not to let mixture lump, set aside off from heat until ready to use for the soup.
- In 2-quart saucepan place 3 tablespoons butter and sliced onions. Cook at low to medium heat stirring frequently until soft and clear but not brown. Add chicken broth or stock from can, chicken bouillon cubes, bay leaves, pepper, and stir until completely heated through.
- Add white sauce and Velveeta cheese to onion mixture. White sauce will be thick because it has been removed from the heat. Simmer on medium low heat until the cheese is melted and all ingredients are blended, stirring constantly. Turn temperature to warm and let cook for additional 30 minute to 45 minutes.
- Serve with a garnish of shredded cheese(s), and a couple of slices of warm dark Russian Bread.
I've never had this at Outback, but this is a terrific soup. I made it exactly as written, and was very pleased with the creamy complexity of flavors. This is a winner - thank you so much for sharing.
This recipe is AMAZING!! My husband & I recently went to Outback to find that their Creamy Onion Soup had been discontinued. :( This is a GREAT copycat!! It tastes exactly like Outback's. We are in LOVE with this soup ;) Thank you so much!
I worked at The Outback for 2.5 years. This is missing SAGE not bay leaves. I believe the correct amount was 1/8 to 1/4 tsp. depending on your taste. Not one recipe I found online shows sage, but its in there. I have made my recipe with the sage for my Mother-in-Law who is an Outbackaholic and this was her fave item. She swears by my recipe as exactly the same. Trust me I can tell the difference in a NY minute.