Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a fantastic hors d’oeuvre! This recipe is from Paula Deen, and she loves mayonnaise. The canapes also taste wonderful topped with a little extra of the cream cheese mixture in place of the mayonnaise. Everyone loved these -- I hope you do!
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Caramelize the onions by sautéing them in oil until they are brown and slightly sticky -- about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Cut the bread into 2" rounds, using a drinking glass or biscuit cutter.
- Toast one side of the bread.
- Season the cream cheese with Worcestershire Sauce, seasoned salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, and paprika.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture on the toasted side of the bread rounds.
- Top the center with caramelized onions. Frost with mayonnaise and sprinkle lightly with paprika.
- Bake until toasted and bubbly -- about 15 to 20 minutes.
Made these last night for New Year's Eve. They were really good. Almost tasted like French Onion Soup! I had actually made the onions several days ago and just put them in the fridge -- a quick way to pull this appetizer together quickly. Thanks for posting!