"What can go wrong with a dish that incorporates potatoes, chicken broth, a bit of cream, shredded Jarlsberg cheese and fresh spinach? It’s a perfect dinner option for midwinter." Local recipe. The test recipe was cut in half. Cinnamon, cardamom or ground allspice can replace the nutmeg if desired.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 907.18-1360.77 g fresh spinach
- 59.16 ml butter (I used a combination of olive oil and butter)
- 236.59 ml finely chopped yellow onion
- 1-2 garlic clove, peeled and finely minced (my addition)
- 1419.54 ml chicken broth
- 473.18 ml yukon gold potatoes (peeled or unpeeled)
- 236.59 ml half-and-half (I used mostly half and half and some heavy cream)
- 236.59 ml shredded jarlsberg cheese
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml white pepper
- shredded jarlsberg cheese
- freshly ground nutmeg (my addition)
- 1Trim spinach, then stack the leaves together and slice into slender strips. I used a food processor and on the PULSE setting shredded the spinach.
- 2In a large skillet, melt the butter and sauté the onions and garlic until soft and golden. Add the spinach and continue to sauté until the leaves have wilted, about 1 minute; set aside.
- 3In a large pot, heat the broth to boiling, along with the potatoes, reduce the heat, cover and simmer until the potatoes are very soft, about 20 minutes. Scrape the spinach mixture into the pot to combine.
- 4Using a hand-held blender or your food processor, blend the mixture to cream the potatoes and spinach, but don’t over-process; you want bits of spinach and potato to remain as a part of the soup’s texture.
- 5Add the half and half and gently reheat the soup, then drop the shredded cheese into the pot, a little at a time, stirring after each addition until the cheese melts. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 6Garnish each serving with some shredded jarlsberg cheese and a light sprinkle of freshly grated nutmeg.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy of Spinach Soup
Serving Size: 1 (410 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 334.7
- Calories from Fat 184
- Total Fat 20.5 g
- Saturated Fat 12.1 g
- Cholesterol 55.5 mg
- Sodium 1189.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 17.7 g