Recipe by Patti599
This delicious soup is a bit unusual...and very comforting. I found it in an out-of-print cookbook long ago. I've adapted it a bit since then.
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup milk or 3⁄4 cup soymilk
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy, dry saucepan, toast the oats over medium heat until they are medium brown. Watch carefully and stir often! Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat the oil and saute the onion and garlic until soft. Add the stock , oatmeal and tomatoes. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cover reduce heat to simmer for 5 minutes or so.
- Add the milk, soy sauce and salt. Taste and add a bit of pepper if you like.