Creamy Oatmeal Pudding With Vanilla Sauce
- Butter four 1-cup ramekins.
- Toast the oats in a saucepan over medium heat until they deepen just slightly in color and become fragrant, 5 minutes or so.
- Pour in 1 cup water, then add milk, brown sugar, vanilla, ginger, and salt.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and decrease heat to a bare simmer, and cook 5 minutes, until soft and very thick.
- Divide the mixture equally among the ramekins; cover them with a single piece of foil; let them sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes, for the pudding to firm in the ramekins.
- While the oatmeal molds set, make the sauce: combine whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla in a saucepan; cook over medium heat until reduced to about ¾ cup/.
- Run a knife around the inside of the first ramekin; turn upside down over a small plate and give it a shake to release the pudding.
- Repeat with the remaining ramekins; spoon the warm sauce over each; grate a bit of nutmeg over the tops and serve.