You may sustitute celery seeds for the caraway seeds if you like. Adapted from The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook, that I just got for my birthday!
- 6 -7 cups green cabbage, cored, shredded
- 6 -7 cups red cabbage, cored, shredded (or use all red or all green)
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds (or celery seeds)
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon-style mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 small sweet onion, minced
- Toss the cabbage with 1 teaspoons salt and let sit in a colander for at least 1 hour or up to 4 hours.
- Meanwhile, toast the caraway seeds in a small skillet over medium heat until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Rinse the cabbage and pat dry with paper towels.
- Whisk the toasted caraway seeds, mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard, sugar, and 1/4 teaspoons pepper together in a large bowl.
- Add the cabbage, carrots, and onion and toss.
- Chill for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
- The coleslaw can be prepared, covered and chilled a day in advance. Before serving, freshen the salad with a spoon of mayonnaise and a dash of vinegar. Season with salt and pepper to taste.