Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
You may sustitute celery seeds for the caraway seeds if you like. Adapted from The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook, that I just got for my birthday!
- 6 -7 cups green cabbage, cored, shredded
- 6 -7 cups red cabbage, cored, shredded (or use all red or all green)
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds (or celery seeds)
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon-style mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 small sweet onion, minced
- Toss the cabbage with 1 teaspoons salt and let sit in a colander for at least 1 hour or up to 4 hours.
- Meanwhile, toast the caraway seeds in a small skillet over medium heat until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Rinse the cabbage and pat dry with paper towels.
- Whisk the toasted caraway seeds, mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard, sugar, and 1/4 teaspoons pepper together in a large bowl.
- Add the cabbage, carrots, and onion and toss.
- Chill for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
- The coleslaw can be prepared, covered and chilled a day in advance. Before serving, freshen the salad with a spoon of mayonnaise and a dash of vinegar. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
I loved this recipe. I'm so glad you posted it, I had a coleslaw recipe using caraway seeds that I lost. I used 1 bag of preshredded coleslaw mix, did not toast caraway seeds, used 1 cup of mayonnaise, 2 tbl. vinegar, 1 tsp. dijon mustard, 2 tsp. sugar, 2 tsp. caraway seeds and 1 small onion sliced on a mandolin and let the slaw stay in refrigerator for 24 hours. It was nice and creamy and delicious!!!............Debbie
Loved this coleslaw -- used both red and green cabbage -- so pretty -- I skipped the mustard but used 1 tsp mustard seeds (toasted until they popped with the caraway seed). Also used Miracle Whip (Light) instead of the mayo. Thanks for sharing this keeper!
Delish!!-I made sort of 1/2 batch...had about 8 cups of all green cabbage...so used the eyeballs to grate carrot and onion with "microplane" zester...used a homemade vegan-mayo-ishy with all the rest of the suggested mix-ins, including the fabulous caraway seeds (LOVE-YUM! )...I made it to go with mr. free-free's left-over corned beef from St Patrick's Day :) and as a prelude for a batch of ;)cultured cabbage;) I am working on...(the first hour is the same prep)- HUGE HIT!! :) Thanks again Sharon!