Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Most clam chowders have way too much potato and not enough clams for my taste. I (Bird) developed this recipe fix that. I use an immersion blender to cream the potatoes into the chowder, then add lots of clams. :)
- 2 slices bacon, cut into small pieces (using scissors makes this easy)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped (or tsp celery seeds)
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 potato, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mace
- 4 (6 1/2 ounce) canschopped clams, juice reserved
- 2 cups heavy cream
- In a large dutch oven, cook bacon until crisp and fat is rendered. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat. Add the butter, onions, celery, garlic, and bay leaf and cook about 5 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Add the potatoes and the reserved clam broth and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer about 30 minutes, until broth has thickened slightly and the potatoes are tender.
- Remove bay leaf from pot. Using an immersion mixer (or blender), blend soup to a fine consistency. Stir in the clams and heavy whipping cream. Taste for saltiness, then season with white pepper, salt, and mace (to your liking).
- Can be eaten right away, but it's best the next day. Just let cool and refrigerate overnight. The next day simmer the soup to re-heat, but do not boil.
We really loved this soup. I made a few adjustments, due to our tastes. I only used 3 cans of the chopped clams and increased the heavy cream amt. to 3 cups. I also kept the potato diced, without blending. We like it that way. I do think the soup would have been thicker if the potatoes were blended in, but we liked it with the potato chunks and it was still a good consistency. Any way you cook this, it is excellent soup! Rich and full of great flavor.
I'm with you when it comes to the clams in a chowder like this ~ MORE is BETTER! I did follow the recipe right on down, but did cut it in half for the 2 of us! Loved everything about it, the flavor, the thickness, the overwhelming satisfaction of a great tasting clam chowder! Thanks for sharing the recipe! A keeper, for sure! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]