Recipe by Norahs Girl
This is a lovely Soup for a Winter Dinner Party!or any type of Gathering of friends and family.
Top Review by Peter J
This was simply superb and one of the nicest warming soups I've had in a long while. I used very hot Asian long chilis in the rouille but the other nice thing about the recipe is seperating the chili from the soup, so everyone can use as much or little of the rouille as they like. I used frozen New Zealand mussel meat so didn't have the shells for presentation, but it sure would look even better with a few half-shells around the serving bowl. All the flavours blended together so well and are perfectly balanced.
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 29.58 ml salted butter
- 14.79 ml peri-peri or 14.79 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 4 clove garlic, crushed
- 29.58 ml fresh parsley, chopped
- 4.92 ml dried herbs
- 0.25 ml saffron or 0.25 ml ground turmeric
- 59.14 ml flour
- 1892.72 ml fish stock or 1892.72 ml chicken stock
- 2 medium tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 78.07 ml sun-dried tomato pesto or 78.07 ml tomato paste
- 14.79 ml sun-dried tomato pesto or 14.79 ml tomato paste
- 9.85 ml sugar
- 453.59 g frozen mussels on the half shell or 453.59 g frozen fresh mussels
- 118.29 ml cream, thick
- seasoning salt
- 4-6 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 fresh chili peppers, very finely chopped (with pips)
- 1.23 ml ground cumin
- 1.23 ml paprika
- 1 slice white bread, soaked in a little of the soup and mashed
- 59.14 ml mayonnaise
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté the onions in the butter/oil mixture.
- Add the garlic, herbs, saffron and flour and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the stock and fresh tomatoes.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the tomato pesto, sugar and mussels and simmer a further 5 minutes.
- Add the cream and adjust the seasoning.
- If the soup tastes weak allow to reduce by cooking without a lid for a while.
- Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley and serve with a spoonful of rouille and a crusty garlic loaf.
- Mix all ingredients together thoroughly and serve with seafood soups and stews.