Kiwi Kathy's Note:
This makes a great lunch for friends, and is always popular with the family for weekends. In cool weather it seems even better than usual. Preparing the mussels is very simple but does take a few minutes; however, this is well worth it as they are such incredibly good value.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Boil 2 cups of water in a large pot, then add a third of the washed mussels, cover and heat until shells open 5mm, then lift promptly, with tongs, into a large bowl. Repeat until all mussels have opened.
- 2Save the liquid.
- 3Cut onion(s) in 1cm cubes.
- 4Heat the oil in a covered non-stick pan, then add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened but not browned.
- 5Chop the carrot, celery and potato into similar sized cubes and add them to the pan.
- 6Strain the mussel cooking liquid into the pan of vegetables and simmer until vegetables are tender.
- 7Take the mussels from shells, discarding beards.
- 8Cut the mussels in 1cm cubes, saving any liquid, and put aside.
- 9Melt the butter in the cleaned mussel pot, then stir in the flour. Add the milk and bring to the boil, stirring or whisking constantly, then add the stock and boil again, still stirring.
- 10Take off the heat.
- 11Add the cooked vegetables and their cooking liquid and season carefully to taste.
- 12Cool, then refrigerate up to 24 hours if necessary.
- 13When ready to serve, heat, stirring constantly, until very hot.
- 14Add two thirds of the mussels and any liquid, then pour into large bowls. Top with remaining mussels and chopped parsley or dill if desired and serve with hot rolls, garlic bread, crackers or toast.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Mussel Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (955 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 804.3
- Calories from Fat 299
- Total Fat 33.2 g
- Saturated Fat 14.4 g
- Cholesterol 153.2 mg
- Sodium 1440.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 54.8 g