Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Best served over crisp buttered toast with fresh fruit on the side.
- 7 ounces button mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 2 ounces grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 teaspoons chopped cilantro or 4 teaspoons coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Heat a pan and add 1 tsp oil and saute whole button mushrooms for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Keep the mushrooms aside.
- In the same pan add the rest of the oil. Add garlic cloves and saute till light brown on medium heat till the rawness of the flour disappears and it is still whitish in color. Remove from stove, add milk and whisk till the flour is completely mixed with milk and no lumps are formed, If some lumps do form, do not despair, strain the mixture through a soup sieve and put back on the stove.
- Add salt and pepper, cilantro and dried herbs as well as mushrooms. Bring to a simmer till the sauce thickens. Add the cheese and serve immediately.